Poisons such as
cleaners, detergents, bleach, rat poison, and mothballs need to
be placed high in cabinets. If the puppy gets into these caustic
substances, he can become quite sick. In some cases, the
ingested poison could be fatal.
Plants can be
beautiful to spruce up your home, but some are deadly to
Spinach and tomato vines, Aloe Vera, Ivy,
Easter Lilies, Elephant Ears, Poinsettias, Poison Ivy and Oak,
and Rhododendrons are just a few of the plants that can cause
problems. Apple seeds, Apricot, and Peach pits can also make the
Make sure to keep your toilet lid down as
well. Bigger puppies are able to play in and drink the water.
This can be quite hazardous due to the cleansers that are used
in the toilet. So break the habit before it begins.
Electrical cords are a huge problem. These
dangling ropes just look like so much fun to the pup. He will
most likely use them for chewing. He could burn his mouth, start
a fire, or be electrocuted. So hide any cords that are just
laying around. If you can't move the cord, at least unplug it
If you live in a high rise apartment, make
sure all the doors with access to balconies or porches are
locked tightly. Some animals are so small they can slide through
the rails and fall.
The best rule of thumb is to get down on
all fours and go exploring around your home. Anything you see
that might cause a problem, remove it before the puppy arrives.
Start him in a safe environment and he will be around for a long
time to come.